Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Images on the Web


Here is a link to a photo of me teaching English in Xi'an, China-
Using photos and a program such as Flickr in the classroom is a wonderful instructional strategy. It gives students an opportunity to see something with their own eyes and to make a connect that they may not make by description alone. My school is considered to be a Global Studies school. Each grade level focuses on a different continent. I teach in third grade, and our continent is Asia. Each month, I incorporate lessons that involve an aspect of Asia to support global awareness. 
During one of the first lessons discussing Asia, I let my students know that I had actually been to China. I spent some time describing my experiences, but they would not have had the same impact, had I not included photos to go along with what I was saying. The students loved seeing and hearing about another country. In the photo that I shared in this discussion forum, I am teaching English in a Chinese classroom. 
My students spent some time comparing and contrasting their classroom to the one in the photo and making some inferences on what it might be like there. Having the photo for the students to compare allowed them to make some inferences and discoveries on their own without me just presenting them with abstract information. I could have discussed my travel and teaching experience with the students, but the photographs of my experience made it much more powerful and meaningful. My students still ask to see more pictures from trip. 
I loved having the opportunity to share my experiences with my students, and it was a great way to incorporate some of the various standards set forth in the educational system and my school. One way this activity fit into the reading curriculum was that it practiced comprehension strategies such as compare and contrast and making inferences. Furthermore, my students received first-hand experiences to learn about their continent of study.

No comments:

Post a Comment